Sunday 10 February 2013

Yee-ha! - Texas Sheet Cake

As I've mentioned previously most of my previous baking has revolved around cupcakes. I am trying to be a little bit more adventurous and so when I saw a recipe for 'Texas sheet cake' in this month's Olive magazine I decided to give it a go. It's a chocolate tray bake with a frosted topping. It looked good in the picture and it's going to be a looooooong week at work so I thought I'd make some to give my colleagues a much needed sugar boost!

The ingredients are usual baking staples: butter, golden caster sugar, light muscavado sugar, self-raising flour, cocoa, baking powder, eggs, soured cream and mini marshmallows (these are optional).


You start by melting the butter together with the sugars and some water in a pan. It ends up looking a little bit strange but don't be put off!





You then mix in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder before adding the marshmallows. 



After baking for approximately 30 minutes it comes out looking a little bit like this...


Then it's time to make the frosting using butter, cocoa, soured cream, milk chocolate and icing sugar. 


You melt the butter and cocoa together and then add the soured cream and milk chocolate. The butter separates leaving it looking anything but icing (never fear it all comes together in the end!)


After leaving the icing mixture to cool you then need to beat it using an electric beater. As if by magic it turns into a pale and fluffy icing ready to be spread over the cooled cake. After a sprinkling of cocoa powder it's ready to eat. I can highly recommend it - it's moist and the frosting is yummy! 



Hopefully my colleagues (and husband!) will enjoy and the sugar will keep us all going. When I was investigating the recipe I came across a cupcake version which I will have to try in the near future. The recipe is here ... http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/07/texas-sheet-cake-cupcakes.html

Dil :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment